Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Murphy's Law with paint. . .

Well, it has been more than a year since I painted (or attempted to) so I was nervous and expected some issues, but "Murphy's Law" came to call and everything went wrong. 😒 

Let's start with the reason it's been over a year since I painted; back in Indiana my old shop wasn't heated that well so when it got cold, I stopped trying to pour paint. Then before it got spring-warm my husband changed jobs and I had to packed everything up to move, it was snowing the day we left Indiana but due to circumstances all my stuff landed in storage in Florida for some months which included summer months. 😕 So I understand why some of my paints were ruined with the crazy temperature swings. 

It came out of the tube like a foam and when I tried to thin it down it just made chunks and stayed chunky no matter what I tried. 😏



I though ok, I can live with that, they weren't all that way so I just set that color aside and didn't use it. But my big expensive jug of pouring medium also developed chunks of it's own, which is bad and sad. However, I thought I could get around it because I know a couple of other artists that don't use that stuff, so there are alternate recipes/ways of thinning paint for pouring, but I am horribly out of practice so I had nothing but troubles trying to get all the colors the same/right consistency. 😓

Then there is the fact that I was trying something new to me, so the paints were too thin kind of on purpose. 😐 But I also used way too much paint for the size of the canvas. 

So, when I went to blow the excess off and try the new thing, it over-mixed and went all wrong. 😞 At first, I thought it would still be ok, even though it was not at all as intended it was still pretty colors and looked kind of cool, it developed some "cells" and interesting spots. 


But the paint was still too thick in places so as it dried it started to wrinkle, ripple, and crack. 😔 Then like an idiot I moved it, I didn't want the tack-feet to end up stuck in the overflow mess, so I picked it up and put it on my easel but it wasn't really level so when I came back hours later there was a blob of ooze from the center where it had been left too thick, ruining the pretty swirls and cells just a glob of wrinkled muddy mess. 😟 

I won't post a photo of the mess, LOL but I will admit that I scraped tons of the paint off and will just try again. 😉 I was right to be nervous and I am disappointed on multiple levels, but it's just paint so I declare do-over. 😇



2 comments:

  1. Kind of like the best laid plans of mice and men. Done similar thing like that only with dyeing fabric. Way too out of practice. Better luck next time to you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, sometimes things just don't go "right" but we keep trying 😇

      Delete