Sunday, June 23, 2024

Weekly update. . .Summer

It has been blazing hot all over the place lately. 😏 I know it's summer but good grief with the heat wave, heat dome, ridiculous record temperatures, it's only June so I am not looking forward to July or August. 😅 

Little Merlin has recovered well and quickly from his vet visit, he is happy to be free of the cone and back to running around. 😇 

I have finally decided to conquer a project that I have wanted to do for a long time but have always shied away from.  I've been doing chainmaille for years now, ok a decade.  I have learned many patterns over the years, mostly from studying photos of completed things. I have seen a lot of photos of a lot of versions of. . . Dragons.  However, almost every version is different, there is no real standard and I have always found them to be rather intimidating in their complexity, they trigger my imposter syndrome. 😰 It is kind of sad considering how much I love dragons, I literally am a dragon under the Chinese zodiac. 😅 So, in the spirit of continuous learning and conquering my fears, I am making a dragon!




Yeah, I've been working on him all week and he's still nowhere near finished. Yesterday, I spent 2 hours and multiple attempts just to get his head attached straight. 😅


I made the head and fringe first because it seemed like an easy starting point, but it has also been a good inspiration sitting there staring at me 😶 like come on. . . I need a body.



I am about 300 rings in, and I think I underestimated just how many rings it will take, considering he is currently a scale-less wing-less serpent. 😕 There are tons of rings left to go, to line his back with scales, to make and attach wings and then a tail. So yeah, he is only about half done right now, which makes it kind of insane that I am already thinking about making another one with different chain patterns and legs. 😅😄

The kit came with a limited number of scales, but I want to make his wings bigger and different from the head fringe. I'm going to have to order more scales, this is not going to be good for my supply addiction. 😎





2 comments:

  1. Can’t wait to see it complete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😇 hopefully by next week's blog post 😉

      Delete