Sunday, March 4, 2018

Learning to paint. . .

I have always been a hands-on learner. 😄  So when I decided I wanted to learn to paint I did not do a bunch of research or watch a bunch of instructional videos. I mean I watched Bob Ross as kid but who didn't?  😉  I always liked the idea of "happy little trees". 

But me being oh so Me just had to do things my own way.  I saw a clearance going out of business sale sign on an art store last year and I decided I wanted to check it out. I had driven by the store pretty regular it's in a plaza with other shops I use often, I had previously thought "hey I should check that out someday".  So the day I saw the closing sign I was a bit sad but thought "hey last chance".  I went in and wandered around a bit, having no idea what I was really looking at or looking for just wandering wide eyed admiring all the things I didn't have a clue how to use.  😊  

I spotted this really cool portable easel case thing and it was soooo discounted that not buying seemed like a waste.  So I bought it, then realized I had no idea how to even unfold it let alone use it, and that I didn't have any supplies or even a clue about painting.  I spent weeks staring at the box wondering if I was completely crazy, if I really wanted to start down this road. In the same weeks I also went shopping with 55% off coupons at A.C.Moore and JoAnns and picked up some watercolor paints, a pack of assorted shaped/sized brushes, some canvases, you know the things I thought one would use in painting. 

After I compiled the assorted supplies I then went back to the mental debate of what was I thinking, I'm no "artist".  I decided I'd just try and see how it turned out, I have no training or technique or general clue even really but I decided I was just going to have fun.  
 So I set up the easel, loaded it with my supplies, opened the paints and went to town in my living room.  No fancy studio, no fancy lights (at the time) just playing with my paints while watching TV.


But honestly I love the way it turned out.  I am not an artist I still do not claim to be an artist but I have now made some real art, even if it was purely by accident.  😛  Oh and it was purely by accident, in school I was never good with portrait stuff, faces and features I just sucked.  However, in my randomly swirling paint to make space-scapes I somehow ended up with this awesome pair of lips whisper from the depths of this black-hole.  I fell in love with the completed piece and it's mine, it's hanging in my upstairs hallway.

I let that fester, I went back to jewelry and wire trees and living my life, but every night on the way to bed I walk past this painting and it makes me think and it makes me smile and it makes me want to paint more.  

And I have been off and on, in between other things.  I sent one to a good friend because she was very complimentary on my facebook pics and really seemed to like them. 😇  She took a photo of it hanging on her wall and shared it on facebook, said she loved it. 

I have since done some research because I was considering selling them, so I wanted to get a price range and see how the artist-y types write the descriptions and stuff.  What I learned is the price range I had in mind is really low compared to most others.  Also reading their descriptions about priming and treating canvases and such made me realize I don't do any of that, I have no idea what they are even talking about. "Holy crap I'm doing it all wrong"  😞😟😕

So I did some more research and reading and then investigated my supplies.  Whew I'm ok, somehow I lucked into pre-primed, pre-treated, pre-stretched, kiln dried canvases.  So all those confuse-y step they were talking about I don't have to do it's all done for me.  Thank heavens, I felt like a total choad for a while there.  Now I've determined I'm just going to keep doing me my way right or wrong, for better or for worse.  😉




No comments:

Post a Comment