Monday, August 16, 2021

Art experiments. . .

My art has always been a hands on learning process and some experiments work out better than others. 😅 My experiments in pouring acrylics last year had a questionable start but quickly improved.  The mix was off in my first batch and the very first piece "cracked up" badly as it dried. 😏


I got better at mixing the paints and understanding how pouring acrylics works, I even started having fun doing it.  I did eventually manage to make a few that are really cool looking.  😍 


Now I have to move on and learn the next steps in how to finish and seal poured paintings.  I have left them to cure for a few months and researched how to clean the silicone/cell magic stuff off the finished dry painting.  I have also researched different types of finishes from standard varnish, to spray sealants, ArtResin and decided that I want to use different finishes on different paintings.

So this weekend I attempted to clean a couple of them and test different finishes, sadly it did not got well.  😕  I think it's because I didn't get all the silicone.  The first one I tried standard varnish I've used before and noticed it didn't want to coat evenly and actually ran away from some spots, when it dried there are spots with no varnish.


It's hard to see the dull spots in photographs but in person they are pretty obvious.  The second one I tried a new spray sealant, I used this spray on a different painting and it worked fine but on the pour painting it sort of foamed and dried with this weird rippling water texture.  


It is very shiny and it looks pretty cool but it's not right and it's not the smooth even finish I was hoping for.  😔  #artfail 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment