Monday, August 1, 2016

Well nevermind then. . .

For months I have been reading repeated forum threads by buyers about how some sellers never answer their conversations or take several days to reply.  I understand their frustrations waiting for days on end for a response would annoy me too.  I personally try to reply as quickly as possible, I put the app on my phone so even when I'm in my shop working and not at the computer I can get the phone ding notification.  I know not everyone has a smartphone, not everyone wants to be that connected, everyone has to sleep sometime, people deserve to have a life, whatever.  

I noticed a Facebook feature I thought might be helpful on Etsy so I posted a discussion thread about a "response rate" stat being added to shops along with sales and reviews.  I thought it would be handy if there was a stat that clearly stated this shop has a 90% response rate with an average 4 hour reply time, just so buyers would have an idea what they are getting into.  For instance if it said this shop has a 10% response rate with a 4 day average then people would know not to expect an immediate answer.  I happen to think it's a great idea, just another tool for buyers to choose a seller they will be happy with, a way for sellers to have solid data and possibly improve their customer service.   

I understand that the Facebook system is flawed, and I don't think Etsy should just copy Facebook, there would have to be adaptations but I think it's doable and I think customers would like it even if it seems shop owners hate the idea.  I am a bit shocked by the snarky defensive negative responses by sellers honestly.  I don't understand the resistance to something that could help you set your shop above and highlight good customer service.  The insane notion that not having a 100% would be a bad thing or that sleeping at night and not responding within minutes to every message would somehow kill your shop just boggles my mind.  

I'm having one of those "please get a grip and come back to reality" trips. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment