Monday, July 8, 2019

No I cannot. . .will not

More than once I have received messages asking if I could make a larger version of a painting and I find myself. . . flabbergasted, floored, semi-annoyed because for serious reals the answer is "No, I cannot and will not".   


" I came across your rainbow painting and fell in love! I was wondering if I could commission a painting that is basically the same except on a larger canvas, say 20 x 16 or so,"

"Is it possible to get this in a larger size?"

Ok, so while I'm glad these people seem to like my art, I'm also having a WTF?! for those that seem to think that one of a kind original paintings should come with a size selector option like shoes or some other mass produced thing.  I'm not amazon, these are not painted on a template in a foreign sweatshop.  No I cannot reproduce copies, no I do not have an enlarge function as I am not a laser printer. 😕

There are some other artists that sell prints and reproductions, I am not one of them.  There are artists that use print services to turn actual paintings into re-prints and those services can then print in various sizes.  I, however, am a human being hand painting individual canvases and do not have those functions or abilities. 

I will just ignore the somewhat insulting nature of the one offering to pay less for the larger commission than I charge for smaller canvases.  

The first time I attempted to explain why I was saying no, noting that :
1. The painting style they were looking at does not lend itself to duplication as paint never mixes/flows the same way twice. 
2. I have never worked a canvas that size
3. I do not have large enough boxes to ship something that size
4. The costs of shipping something that size would be considerable

In spite of being polite, professional and apologetic I never received a reply/response.  In spite of them stating they would purchase the smaller one if I could/would not make a larger one they never have.

So the second person got a much shorter answer without all the personal explanation and apologizing and whatnot just simply "Thank you for your interest in my art but no I do not currently paint canvases larger than the 11" x 14" size."

I have before considered larger sized canvases but they present several issues for me.  First, they cost more $$, individually and overall so it's an investment.  Second they take up more space and storage both before and after painting is an problem for me who moves regularly and has 3 cats.  Third, painting something that size uses way more paint so again investment and cost$.  Fourth and finally shipping, as in boxes, packaging, high postage costs, huge boxes on people's porches that are more likely to be stolen or damaged.

I may one day decide to try larger canvases but at this time I do not see it as feasible for me or my business.  When/if I do start painting larger canvases I would not likely put them in the etsy shop due to the shipping concerns listed above.  I am considering some consignment type options for selling some things in local shops in the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment