Sunday, May 29, 2016

Pricing vs. value

There are a lot of jewelry crafters in the world, tons of them have Etsy shops.  There are a lot of styles of jewelry, I only make chainmaille and simple leather.  I can appreciate the intricate beading, braiding, weaving, metal smithing, etc. but that's not what I do.

When I look at other shops with chainmaille I am often shocked at the huge price variations some use sterling silver and charge a fortune and some sell so cheaply I don't know why they bother to sell it at all.  I am flabbergasted by $5 bracelets, seriously I spend hours and hours making each piece, depending on the pattern an 8" bracelet can easily be 100 rings or more.  

Ok so maybe some of the cheapies are made with cheap rings or the person making them can throw them together in a flash but is that a good thing?   I try to use quality rings, nickle free findings and make sure my closures are tight and well aligned so as to not snag on things.  So my rings may cost more and I take my time that is reflected in my pricing, I am not a sweatshop worker I have to place some value upon my time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment