Sunday, September 15, 2024

Weekly update. . . blah

While not very informative "blah" is very descriptive of how I feel these days, between the life worries and the weather I'm just . . .blah. 😑

I have deactivated all my michaels' makerplace listings because they put this ridiculous suggestion scroll at the TOP of listings, now I am fine with the "you may also like" standard at the Bottom of a page but to put directly competing listings at the top of the page before the buyer can even see the actual listing they clicked on is a huge "Aw HELLZNO" for me. 😡
Some sellers tried to defend the move saying, the scroll is not that big, or it's just random things, however, on my laptop screen it's pretty big and not random, other sellers said on mobile it pushes the listing well down the page. 
Since it is in fact a 3rd platform for me I don't need this especially right now with more important things in life to worry about. Although I am wondering if this is why I don't have more sales on this platform.  I remember etsy trying this and sellers revolting. The only time etsy does this is if someone clicks in thru a pinterest link, if you click an item in etsy search you get that actual listing, now there are multiple scrolls and suggestions at the Bottom of the page (where they belong) but first you get the actual thing you clicked on. This just comes off so temu, ebay, amazon, yard sale desperate to me, it's pointless page clutter and directing shoppers off the page before they can even look at what they actually clicked on. 

This really reinforces for me how much I appreciate goimagine and the fact that they do not do things like this. 😉 As a matter of fact the only suggestion scroll at the bottom of a goimagine listing is a "more from this maker" displaying my own stuff. 😎 Because unlike other corporate marketplaces goimagine listens to and respects their makers and is not constantly trying to redirect buyers out of our shops or to cheaper things.  😇  

Now that I've gotten that off my chest let's move on to the fact that I didn't get this week's dragon finished. 😏 I have made progress and thanks to my husband's smarty-pants-ness I think when it is finished his name will be Progress instead of TheGreenDragon as previously planned. 
At least his head is attached to the body, which is half covered with scales 😉 so ya' know progress

 

2 comments:

  1. When I saw that Michaels came up with its online shop for crafters, I wondered how it would work. Reading your blog about what happened makes me happy I discovered goimagine when I did a few years ago! Way to go, Amanda - I would have done the same thing! 😏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies for the delayed response, I just found your comment. Honestly, I'm not sure why I decided to give them a chance 😅 it seemed like a good idea that the time. It took them nearly a month to stop using my photos in ads after I deactivated everything, my shop analytics shows a view as recent as Oct 3. I actually saw ads with my photos myself after deactivation so I clicked on it just to see what would happen it went to my listing but had a "not available" type banner over it and had all the scrolls of suggesting other things, so bait and switchy. 🫤 Even is the ditch the top scroll I'm not sure I'd reactivate my stuff there, I only had 5 sales in a year anyway.

      Delete