Sunday, January 17, 2016

Better late than never!

I started an Etsy shop called RainbowMaille to sell chainmaille jewelry just over 6 months ago.

I started a Facebook page to support and promote the Etsy shop a couple months later.

And now I'm starting RainbowMaille's very own blog.  ☺  

So welcome to RainbowMaille a blog all about the chainmaille jewelry I make and sell.  

I have been making chainmaille for almost 5 years.  I started with a cheap and simple kit I bought at Hobby Lobby just for fun and almost immediately became addicted to playing with rings.  That first kit was for Helm's chain which is still one of my favorite patterns, all the other patterns I now make I have learned by trial and error.  

I have learned many things along the way, such as the quality of rings makes a big difference not only in the finished product but in the working of the rings.  A lot of cheaper rings have consistency issues or bad ends that don't butt properly which makes them harder work with.  Super malleable light gauge rings are easy to work with but will not stand up to regular wear.  Some patterns only work with rings in specific proportions.  All good lessons learned the hard way by making things that didn't work and/or didn't last.  ~LOL~

I have become very methodical, picky and OCD about the chainmaille I make.  I want the things I make to last.  So I have changed ring suppliers and become very focused on my "closures".  I have learned that with better quality rings you can achieve near perfect closures that are barely visible, where the ends line up not only side to side but top to bottom, also making sure the closure is tight and there is no space.  Misalignment and gaps lead to scratching and snagging which can stretch rings out of shape and cause breakage aside from ruining your favorite sweater.  ☺

I know there are people who can make chainmaille faster than I do but I like to take my time.  I like to layout a design before I start a piece, I always count the rings.


I work in stages and spend on average between 4 and 10 hours on each piece depending on the pattern and size.  ☺


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment