Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Chains have families part 2

Some people define the chain families along different lines.  There are multiple ways patterns can be sorted aside from family such as structure, appearance, form, attribute, level of complexity.   

There are hundreds if not a thousand patterns of chain possible, of course, not all patterns are suited for all applications.  Some patterns make better jewelry while some make better clothing.  However, there are some patterns that only seem to be art sculpture like this cube.
 


I did not make that cube, I found it on one of my favorite sites for chainmaille patterns and information.  MailleArtisans.org  I highly recommend them to anyone looking to start making chainmaille, they offer a huge catalog of photos and patterns, many patterns with tutorial instructions and diagrams. 

Sometimes I make a variant I think is all my own like this version of Japanese Lace I call Bubbles.

Then I visit MailleAtrisans and find it's already there, although it's called stepping stones over there, and there are multiple versions based on not only Japanese Lace but also Byzantine and others.

Since people have been making chainmaille for literally  hundreds of years it's really hard to come up with original things.  ~LOL~

No comments:

Post a Comment