Thursday, May 11, 2017

it took all day. . .but it was worth it

I love making the wire tree sculptures but storage and transport has always been an issue.  Last year taking some to an event was kind of difficult and I at the last minute just used what I had on hand which was a 3 ring binder with page sleeves.  It kind of worked ok for some of them, but the largest ones didn't fit in the book at all and the pages drooped from the weight.  ~sigh~  It was ok but not ideal, the clear page sleeves allowed you to see the trees but the beads and charms started to scratch and scuff the plastic sleeves and made the whole thing look kind of cheap.  

I have just been hanging them about the house for lack of a better solution, but then when one would sell there I am wandering from room to room trying to remember where I hung which one. ~LOL~  So I have been trying to think up a better solution for months now and suddenly yesterday it hit me. . . hanging folders.

You know those storage boxes for hanging file folders, I know it sounds odd but if you think about it it makes perfect sense.  I had this plan to use these cheap junky jumprings that I would never ever use in jewelry.  I bought the pack on a whim just because I wanted to test the larger size in a new pattern but they were too soft (and the wrong size).  I was going to just twist them around and turn them into mini S hooks to hang the trees in the folders.

I ran off to the walmart found a nice clear plastic tote version of hanging folder box and got some folders to go in it and rushed home all excited.  Only problem was after I got home and got the folders hanging in the box and went looking for the previously mentioned junky jumprings I was stymied and frustrated when I couldn't find them anywhere.  I searched high and low through my craft room, all my supplies, totes, toolboxes, I wasted considerable time looking.  I got so frustrated I wrote a facebook post about being frustrated.  ~LOL~ 

That's when  fabulous friend of mine mentioned I could just use wire. . .duh I have tons of wire and can bend it into just about anything.  So I then spent a good while cutting little snips of wire and bending up my own little S hooks.  Then I dove into my project of converting the book into the box and collecting them from all over the house and getting them organized and labeled in the box.


It took me nearly all day but it was so worth it.  I am so pleased with how it worked out it's not perfect but it is much better than it was.  The largest 10" and 12" still don't fit and I am keeping the 3" ones in the book because I can do 5 per page but the book fits in the box and there are only a few of the largest sizes. 


When my husband came home I proudly showed him my fabulous solution, he admitted it was genius and looked not only functional as storage but OCD compliant in it's organization and labeling. 😍  

Then I pointed out to him that I had collected all of them from all over the house and stored them in the box he looked around and made a sad face as apparently he had gotten used to seeing them all over and he really liked seeing them.  ~awe how sweet~  

I understand, I smiled every time I walked by one but they are product for sale and hanging about getting dusty is not proper storage for inventory.  I then pointed out to him that there are some still around that are ours, some of the first ones I made are hanging in the windows on either side of the front door, there is one over the bar in the living room, there is one in the downstairs hall bath, and of course I am keeping MY Hogwarts house crest.  😇  


No comments:

Post a Comment